post by Sita
Valentine’s Day is pretty much always a let down for me. The thing is, I (we) never go out of our way to make it romantic and fun, and I always feel like any effort is cheesy or boring. So, this year we (I) am making a plan to have fun. Here are 10 great dates that might make this Valentine’s one to remember whether you’re single or married for 30 years! Some of these are on Friday night, even thought Valentine’s is on a Saturday. Hopefully one of these ideas will spark some love into these cold February nights.
1. Night skiing at Snow King. There’s something awesome about skiing at night, and even more awesome about cozying up to your honey on a dark cold night in between ski runs. Seeing the town lit up against a winter sunset isn’t a bad way to spend any night! The lifts run from 4-7pm, and the cost is $25/person.
2. Spend your evening stargazing at the Jackson Hole skies. Wyoming Stargazing is hosting a session with an astronomer, multiple iPads, and a Dobsonian telescope on the lawn at the Center for Arts on Friday night (the 13th) from 7pm-9pm. Oh yeah, and it’s free! Star knowledge is not just cool, it’s downright sexy. Find out more information at http://www.wyomingstargazing.org.
3. Attend the long awaited showing of Fifty Shades of Grey. The movie premiers on Thursday, at Jackson Hole Twin Cinema and will show nightly at 8 pm.
4. Seek solitude and spend the day cross country skiing at Turpin Meadows Ranch, followed by an amazing dinner at the ranch, one of Jackson’s best. Dinner by reservation only, the ranch offers rentals and $15/day of skiing. This one is not to be missed.
5. Couples massages are utterly decadent, which is exactly why you and your special someone should consider getting one. Getting a massage is the perfect way to treat yourself, relaxing your mind and your body. Achieving that relaxation alongside your lover is just bonus. My favorite place to get messages in town are, 1) The Rusty Parrot $$$ (http://www.rustyparrot.com/spa/massage-therapy) 2) Bear and Doe Banya $$ which boasts steam room, sauna, cold plunge, and the best masseuse west of the Mississippi. (http://www.bearanddoebanya.com) 3) The Four Seasons $$$ if you can afford it, you know why its on here. Simply the best the business. (http://www.fourseasons.com/jacksonhole/spa/massages/)
6. Take a sleigh ride. Jackson has a couple of different sleigh options, Mill Iron Ranch offers elk viewing and an amazing steak dinner, Spring Creek Ranch has a 45 minute ride with some amazing views, and the elk refuge ride focused on getting up close to the elk. Sleigh rides are so magical, there’s no other way to put it. There’s something incredible about being pulled along by horses with mountains and all of your troubles far away.
7. Go to a concert. Listening to some music or getting your dance on can be just the thing to shake off the February blues and get closer to your special someone! Check the local papers to find out who’s playing what and when. Mangy Moose, Town Square Tavern, The Pink Garter Theater and the Center for the Arts are all hosting concerts. Live music and some dance moves will satisfy all of the Valentiners out there, singles, girls night out, friends, married couples everyone!! Whatever it is… dancing will make it better.
8. Get your GAL-entines on by joining the Jackson Hole Babe Force on Sunday at 12 pm at the top of the Gondi for an afternoon of skiing with Jackson’s finest ladies. Skiing with girls is the new ski date. These girls are supportive, fun, and will fill your weekend with laughs, great skiing, and plenty of girl power.
9. For those of you who aren’t looking for a human match, stop by the animal adoption center and take a dog or cat for the weekend, or maybe forever! The animal adoption center is worth checking out even if you know you can’t keep the animal at home, having a warm cuddly animal to spend the day with, or just sharing a beautiful walk might make it your best Valentine’s ever!
10. Do a sweaty yoga class at Inversion Yoga with your honey and open your chakras to feel the love. Find out their schedule here: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/classic/home?studioid=9611