50th FLASHBACK SPECIAL EVENT
GRAND NATIONAL POWDER 8’s LOCAL QUALIFIER
Calling All You Style Cats Out There | Strut Your Stuff in Cody Bowl
REGISTRATION | JANUARY 5-8 (NOON), 2016
Saturday, January 16, 2016 | 10:30 am | Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Backcountry
WHO: YOU! A Teton County Wyoming Idaho Local… And a partner Been working on that Jackson Hole turn since ’78? Time to tune-up and take it to Cody for some friendly competition (for a big kitty) coming from 21 other local teams.
WHAT: POWDER 8 Returns Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is bringing back a historic competition to the Powder 8 face of Cody Bowl.
WHEN: SAT 1.16.16–Local Qualifier for the GoPro Grand National Powder 8’s – winning teams will go on to compete in the big kahuna to be held later-winter on February 6, 2016.
WHY: HISTORY Bringing back a beloved tradition for a continued installment of properly celebrating JHMR’s 50th anniversary. After 1.16.16 Powder 8 Local Qualifier Competition on the Powder 8 Face of Cody Bowl, local victors challenge invited regional teams to the Grand National Powder 8 Grand Reunion Weekend Friday, February 5 – Sunday, February 7, 2016.
LOCAL QUALIFIER NEED-TO-KNOW:
- Registration Dates: January 5-8, 2016. Ending at Noon on the 8th.
- Registration Fee: $100 per team ($50 pp), payment via check, cash, PayPal upon secured spot. Teams triumphing to the final are not excluded from Grand National Fees.
- Registration, Selection, Participation does not include a lift ticket- thanks for securing your own transit up and out to Cody Bowl.
- Must be a local- you know what that means- don’t import your pal from AK to 8.
How to Register: Contact Kathryn Brackenridge
REGISTRATION: Kathryn Brackenridge | Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Events Manager | Kathryn.Brackenridge@jacksonhole.com | 307.739.2770
Registration Window & Questions:
- January 5-7, 2016
- January 7 Deadline & Count if registered count exceeds 22 teams, organizers implement a draw picking 22 at random. Selected competitors announced and notified January 8.
Important Dates & Times:
- January 4-7, 2016 Registration
- January 8, 2016 Selections Notified (Pending: If Need Be for Excess Entries)
- Friday, January 15, 2016 5:00 pm Mandatory Competitors Meeting Covering Backcountry Procedure Protocol, Draw Your Number/Lane Assignment in the Events Tent
- Competitor Tram: Must load 8:24 am Tram to Ski, Snooze/Lose Situation, No Exceptions
- Start Time: 10:30 am Cody Bowl
- 4:00 PM After-Party in the Gabe Room, No Prizes, Just Glory and a Past-Go to Grand Nationals
Requiring Each Competitor: Signed Liability Release, Carry Necessary Avy Gear, Beacon (minimum requirement for backcountry safety gear)
Big Picture, Nitty Gritty’s & FAQ:
- Grand National | Grand Reunion $10,000 in Prize Money Sponsored by GoPro
$5,000 Winning Team
$3,000 Runners Up
- Entry Fee: $200/team gets each team a two-day lift ticket valid for February 6 & 7, 2016 and additional 50% off tickets are available upon
- Lodging Specials Are Available to Confirmed Competitors
Not-To-Be-Forgotten: THE RULES + Judging Criteria of Five Select Judges TBA
USA Powder 8 Championship Rules
Three components, 15 points each
- Synchronized Skiing, two skiers ski in synch to form the figure of linked 8’s (not opposite synchronized)
- Dynamic Skiing, both skiers use a blend of three ski performances (edging, twisting, bending) to maximize control, speed, shape, and synchronicity.
- Roundness, symmetry, line of descent is a combination of three components.
- Roundness = round shaped turns.
- Symmetry = turns from one side to the other are the same (left turns are the same as right turns).
Line of Descent = path of linked 8’s should be straight down, not necessarily following the fall line.
OTHER: Potential Fine Print of Additional Info to be edited below:
Over 15 teams from around the Rockies have been invited to come to Jackson to compete in this restored tradition on Saturday, February 6th during the heart of JHMR’s continued 50th anniversary celebrations, namely the Grand Reunion Weekend Friday, February 5 – Sunday, February 7, 2016.
The nationally recognized event, which ran from 1975 until 2001, will feature:
- Invited Teams from Surrounding Resorts
- Jackson Hole Ski Patrol (Limit One Team)
- Mountain Sports School (JHMR MSS Limited One Team)
- JHMR Sponsored Athletes (Limit One Team)
- Local Qualifier Winners (TBD, 2nd, 3rd etc)
Taken together a total of 22 teams all gunning for over $10,000 in cash and prizes.
An annual competition, which took place for over two decades in the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (then closed) Backcountry, was first won by Pepi Stiegler and Peter Habeler, and a long tradition of participating and winning teams were fielded from some of the best resorts in the Rocky Mountain region, including Vail, Aspen, Whistler, Big Sky, Bridger Bowl, Snowbird and Sun Valley and more-hopefully if not all of which are sending teams. Held outside of the ski area boundary, before the backcountry gates were open to the public, the event was nationally renowned for years, and winners were then sent to the World Championships held at Mike Wiegele’s heli ski operation. With the opening of the backcountry gates in the winter 1999-2000 and the decreasing popularity of synchronized skiing, the resort stopped hosting the competition after 2001. JHMR is proud to bring back this time-honored competition for the 50th anniversary celebrations. As tradition would have it teams will be judged on, synchronization, symmetry of the 8’s, and skiers style. Five judges will be announced.